Black-crowned Night Herons

  • Elaine Lindelef
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10, 2007
      This morning I spotted (what I think is) a juvenile Black-crowned
      Night Heron down on the river. I've seen him before, very
      occasionally. And I braved the rain for quite some time until it let
      up enough to attempt a photo.

      He even moved his head for me once, and I got a shot of him looking
      directly at me - from the front they look like completely different
      birds.

      But, the joke was on me, because the camera actually caught two. I
      never spotted the second one.

      Elaine Lindelef
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 19, 2012
        Mon, 19 Mar 2012 -- About noon today there were two BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT
        HERONS sitting in view in the dense tree at 412 Mendocino Drive in western
        Ukiah. (This is NOT Lake Mendocino Drive)

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA
      • Jack Booth
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 20, 2015
          20 March, 2015.

          Heard two BCNH at 7:20 and 7:22 PM. Saw another about 7:25. It was flying west over the East Branch Russian River towards the Forks. About ten minutes later two more flew directly over me going west towards the West Branch Russian River. They were come from the direction of the dam at Lake Mendocino so there must still be a rookery somewhere. Last year the live oak trees they nested in were cut down. The remaining live oak was trimmed severely. and about six great-horned owl decoys were hung from the branches to try to scare them off. There are still a lot of big live oaks in the area. I suspect they are not far away from the original rookery. Jack Booth
        • Robert Keiffer
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2016
            Feb 1, 2016 - Monday - I kept searching the redwood grove in the neighborhood of Oak Manor on the corner of Washo and Yosemite for Black-crowned Night Herons...where they used to daytime-roost up until a couple years ago.  No luck.   As I headed west back towards Oak Manor St. there in front of me were two Black-crowned Night Herons in the redwoods on the corner of Oak Manor St. and Yosemite, on the NW corner of the intersection, and were easily seen from the road as they preened out in the open.  There was an adult and a first year bird ... and there may have been more but I did not take time to really look with binoculars that long (I had a car behind me).  The continuing California Thrasher was singing atop a tree just south of the BMX track at Riverside Park.  Good Birding.    Bob Keiffer   Hopland   rjkeiffer@...
          • Robert Keiffer
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 14
              01/14/17 - This morning there were at least three BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERONS  roosting in the pine trees northwest of the intersection of Oak Manor and El Rio, east side of Ukiah, east side of Highway 101.   Good birding.  Bob Keiffer   rjkeiffer@...