interesting info on Wood Ducks

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2007
      Do you know that wood ducks are also known as "acorn ducks"? When
      acorns are plentiful (fall and winter) they are the most important part
      of the wood duck diet. The rest of the year they feed on grains, seeds,
      mulberries, and wild grape.

      Here's some more fascinating information I found (see items in bold):

      The Pacific population winters in Mexico except for the small Pacific
      coast population that winters along waterways in southern hardwoods and
      in central California (is Ukiah area central California?). Prefer
      quiet undisturbed woodlands, creeks, rivers, floodplains, lakes,
      swamps; usually associated with deciduous woods, and beaver ponds.

      Nesting occurs anywhere from March to July. The female selects the
      nest cavity in a tree, usually 30 feet above the ground, although
      nests can be found as low as 2 feet and as high as 65 feet and are
      often far from water.

      Drakes follow their mates to their former breeding areas. Wood ducks
      have a phenomenal ability to return to the same breeding area year
      after year. Occasionally nests are found with 30 - 50 eggs laid by
      several females. These may be abandoned, though if successfully
      brooded can increase production. Unmated drakes return to their natal
      area.

      The hen broods her young 24 hours before she calls them from the nest
      site. They respond with peeping calls and immediately begin to spring
      upward towards the nest entrance where they pause momentarily before
      springing outward to the water or land, in some cases over 60 feet
      below. Amazingly, they land unhurt. If on land, the clutch is
      immediately led to water which may take several hours.

      As perching ducks (Tribe Cairinini) the feet are adapted for perching,
      with sharp claws, as well as webbed for swimming. Flight swift and
      direct. Wings proportionately broader than those of other ducks,
      making them adept at twisting and turning as they adroitly thread
      their way through branches of trees.

      This information brought to you by Fifty Species Challenge.