Pleas help me ID this Potter Valley bird

  • Elaine Lindelef
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2007
      I've been watching this bird hang around our place for a while, and I
      had catalogued him as a flycatcher.

      (go to the photos section for the list, the Potter Valley album)

      I am a very novice birder. Now I am more dangerous but perhaps more
      interesting: a novice birder with a new camera.

      When he flies he has nice big white bars on the underside of his
      wings. I can't accurately describe the shape, but he's very striking
      when he's about.

      Now that I have this tight image of him, the head shape isn't right
      for the local flycatchers. I would tend to label him a Grey
      Flycatcher, but my books all say they don't come this far south or
      west. Maybe he's a Cassin's Vireo? But I don't see any yellow in his
      coloring. This is my favorite image, but I may have a profile as well.

      Thanks for your patience and assistance,

      Elaine Lindelef
      Potter Valley