Possible Barrow's Goldeneye

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2007
      Hi all,

      Yesterday afternoon Charlene and I stopped at the Westport Sewage Ponds and
      were surprised to find two goldeneyes on the pond. They mostly stayed in the
      far back (northeast) corner. I am 95% sure that one is a Common and one is a
      Barrow's. I only got a look at the Barrow's through the binoculars, but it
      appeared to have a mostly yellow bill and a very steep forehead.

      Sorry I didn't post this yesterday. Just spaced on it when we got home. Good
      luck.

      Ron

      Ron LeValley

      LeValleyPhotos

      P.O. Box 332

      Little River California USA 95456

      Cell: 707/496-3326

      Office: 707/937-1742

      www.LeValleyPhoto.com <http://www.levalleyphoto.com/>

      Ron@...

      For a free natural history Picture of the Day in your e-mail, contact
      Ron@...

    • Ron LeValley
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2007
        Yes, the dull eye is a characteristic of immatures, so this bird is likely a
        first-winter bird. By now, most males should show some of the darker head,
        facial crescent and black bill, so I guess we are safe in calling it a
        female as well.

        What did others think of the bill color? I only saw the bird with binoculars
        and could not be sure of the color. Anybody else have comments on the head
        shape? I know Karen thought that the bird was smaller than the adjoining
        Common, and that is not a problem as, although the Barrow's averages larger,
        there is enough overlap that individuals could be smaller than individual
        Commons.

        Ron

        _____

        From: "Ron LeValley" <ron@...>
        To: <Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [Mendobirds] Possible Barrow's Goldeneye
        Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 12:32:01 -0800
        >Hi all,
        >

        >Yesterday afternoon Charlene and I stopped at the Westport Sewage Ponds and
        >were surprised to find two goldeneyes on the pond. They mostly stayed in
        the
        >far back (northeast) corner. I am 95% sure that one is a Common and one is
        >Barrow's. I only got a look at the Barrow's through the binoculars, but it
        >appeared to have a mostly yellow bill and a very steep forehead.
        >

        >Sorry I didn't post this yesterday. Just spaced on it when we got home.
        Good
        >luck.
        >

        >Ron
        >

        >Ron LeValley
        >
        >LeValleyPhotos
        >
        >P.O. Box 332
        >
        >Little River California USA 95456
        >
        >Cell: 707/496-3326
        >
        >Office: 707/937-1742
        >

        >www.LeValleyPhoto.com <http://www.levalleyphoto.com/>
        >
        >Ron@...
        >

        >For a free natural history Picture of the Day in your e-mail, contact
        >Ron@...

        >Listowners: mailto:MENDOBIRDS-owner@yahoogroups.com
        >For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My
        these addresses:
        >Turn off email delivery: mailto:MENDOBIRDS-nomail@yahoogroups.com
        >Resume email delivery: mailto:MENDOBIRDS-normal@yahoogroups.com
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        _____

        Turn <http://g.msn.com/8HMBENUS/2731??PS=47575> searches into helpful
        donations. Make your search count.

      • stevestump
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 28, 2015

          11/28/15  10:00 am

          This morning I birded the mouth of the Navarro River (Mendocino Coast) in hopes of finding the Swamp Sparrow that Todd Easterla found last week (no luck). While there, there were about a dozen Common Goldeneye and one that looks like a female Barrow's Goldeneye. It has a yellow bill and a darker brown head than the nearby COGO. If anyone could confirm (or not) this, I would appreciate it. Please look at all seven photo's uploaded to flickr. Thanks, Steve Stump

          Goldeneyes (3)

        • Robert Keiffer
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 28, 2015
            Steve,    Yes, congrats!   Adult female Barrow's Goldeneye.   Features that show in your photos are:

            darker brown almost "chocolate" head color
            flattened crown
            entire yellowish bill
            golden eye - as opposed to brownish iris of immature male
            steepness of forehead/mandible profile
            somewhat scaly grayish on sides of neck as opposed to brighter whitish/gray on COGO

            an open dorsal wing shot would have been nice to double-confirm, but I have no doubt that this is a Barrow's Goldeneye female.

            Good birding.  Bob Keiffer   Hopland   rjkeiffer@...