Fifty Species Challenge Web of Life walk tomorrow

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2007
      Fifty Species Challenge Walk

      Did you know that wrentits and white-crowned sparrows can spend their
      entire lives in one coyote bush, finding all of their food, shelter,
      and nest material there? Or that one coyote bush anchors 10 square feet
      of soil? Did you know that deer, wood rats, squirrels eat poison oak
      leaves, and that California Quail, Yellow-rumped Warblers, and dozens
      of other birds eat the berries? The Fifty Species Challenge is a
      program designed to help you learn such fascinating facts. To learn
      more about it, google Fifty Species Challenge (new website, soon to be
      revised).

      Cathy Monroe and Kate Marianchild will be leading a Fifty Species
      Challenge walk on Saturday, February 3, 10 a.m. We will meet at
      Parducci Winery (park along the road, not in their parking lot-
      directions below). We'll carpool in 1.25 miles into Round Mountain, to
      the barns on the right, then we'll walk up to Lake Pennyroyal and begin
      sharing web of life information about the species we see. If anyone
      wants to arrive early to get some exercise walking in, that would be
      fine, but please don't go exploring around any residences.

      Some of the species we might see and/or share web of life information
      about: Screech Owl (the owl is gone but you can see last summer's
      roost hollow in an oak tree, and learn interesting facts), Poison Oak,
      Tule, Coyote Bush, Manzanita, Mistletoe, Soap Plant, Black-tailed Deer,
      Muskrat, California Quail, Oak Titmouse, Belted Kingfisher, Great Blue
      Heron, Turkey Vulture. We might also take some time to sit quietly for
      20 minutes to look and listen.

      Bring water, a small 3x4 or 4x6" notebook, a pencil, something
      waterproof to sit on, binoculars if you have them, and field guides or
      information you'd like to share about species we're likely to see. Wear
      light-colored clothes and plan to tuck your pants into your socks to
      prevent ticks. Rain will cancel.

      For those of you who don't know exactly what the Fifty Species
      Challenge is, google Fifty Species Challenge.

      To get to Parducci Winery: Take Hwy 101 to Lake Mendocino Drive (north
      of Ukiah, south of Hwy 20). At the bottom of the off ramp go west
      (away from North State St.) Go 30 feet or so and turn right. You will
      pass a stone wall on your left advertising Parducci Winery. You will be
      heading north on Tollini Rd, but I don't think there is a sign on it.
      When you get to a T (Parducci Rd.) turn left. Parducci Winery will be
      on your right. Park along the road wherever possible, but not in
      Parducci's parking lot.

      Please email Kate Marianchild at katem@... if you plan on coming.
      We'd like to have an idea of numbers.

      Kate and Cathy