Fwd - Ukiah Valley Report - 1/21

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2007
      From: "Matthew Matthiessen" <MatthiMA@...>
      To: <Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Ukiah Valley Report - 1/21

      Sunday, 21 January 2007 -- Sunday morning produced a handful of nice
      birds at USTP. The LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS and LEAST SANDPIPERS were
      still present. Only six species of ducks were present but this included
      a lone female COMMON GOLDENEYE. One MERLIN and at least three TREE
      SWALLOWS rounded out the morning.

      A couple hours around Lake Mendocino in the early afternoon produced a
      few nice birds. At the north end of Coyote Dam there was a MEW GULL
      hanging out with the resident ducks and geese. From the parking lot
      below the dam I was able to scope two adult BALD EAGLES on the east side
      of the lake. At the north end of the lake the CACKLING GOOSE and two
      GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE were still present sitting on the shore
      together between the boat launch and Pomo A. Two CANADA GEESE had
      joined them making for nice comparisons between cackler and canada. I
      could not find the Canvasback reported last week by Chuck Vaughn but
      there were several CLARK'S GREBES just out from Pomo A.

      Matthew Matthiessen
      Ukiah, CA