Harlequin Duck

  • Ed McKinley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2007
      Pete and Mary Gealey reported seeing a male harlequin duck on lower Big
      River amongst a small group of buffleheads of Friday. They saw this
      group of ducks upriver of the gate but well below the rock quarry.

      Today Suzanne and I found it from the parking area near the first bend
      above the bridge and still with a group of about 10 buffleheads. We had
      a scope with us and it gave us plenty of time to observe it. As we
      left, the group was swimming upstream behind the first island.

      We also saw a group of very active common mergansers, one red-breasted
      merganser, three common goldeneyes and a snowy egret. For awhile, the
      snowy egret was following the mergansers as they were working along the
      riverbank. The snowy would hop/fly along along the bank, keeping pace
      with the ducks, apparently to see if they would stir up something
      interesting.

      Ed McKinley