Lake Mendocino, 18 Jan

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2007
      Thu, 18 Jan 2007 -- I did a survey of Lake Mendocino today, and, as
      mentioned previously, there is a dearth of ducks this winter. I managed to
      claw my way up to 7 species. Most interesting was a pair of REDHEADS south
      of the Mesa. There were two adult BALD EAGLES sitting again in the last
      tree on the boat-in campground spit and an immature sitting on the 'osprey'
      platform near Perry Creek Cove.
      This week I have also seen an adult Bald Eagle along the Eel River
      below Tomki Creek, and another adult has been scavanging chinook salmon
      carcasses at the Tomki Creek ford on the Willits-Hearst Road. There has
      also been an AMERICAN DIPPER foraging on the spillway of Van Arsdale Dam.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA

      This is pretty close to a complete and accurate census of the
      entire lake:
      Pied-billed Grebe 4
      Horned Grebe 3
      Eared Grebe 30