More info-C. Nutcracker/E. Grosbeak/Lake County

  • dlwoodward1@home.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 15, 2001
      I would like to add some information about the Clark's Nutcrackers
      and Evening Grosbeaks that my family and I saw on Snow Mtn.
      yesterday. All of the nutcrackers that we saw were in flight. The
      first 2 flew over from the Colusa Co. side of the trail at about
      7:45am just 150 yds. beyond the Summit Spr. Trailhead and were last
      seen flying upslope into Lake Co. The third approached from the same
      direction about 10 minutes later but eventually veered east and was
      last seen flying well into Colusa Co. Four miles later near noon at
      the Milk Ranch a flock of 19 nutcrackers flew over the meadow and a
      lone nutcracker was seen about 20 minutes later. All 20 nutcrackers
      observed at the Milk Ranch were last seen flying toward the North
      Ridge area of the mtn. The large flock of Evening Grosbeaks that we
      saw at the Milk Ranch meadow were feeding and calling from the Red
      Firs that ring the meadow. Most of the flock moved several times
      giving us our best chance for an accurate count. During one move I
      counted 34 grosbeaks in flight and there were still several calling
      from the trees nearby. The grosbeaks were still present when we left
      the meadow after 1pm. Dave Woodward