Red/Taiga Type Fox Sparrow & Varied Thrushes In Our Yard

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2007
      I found a Fox Sparrow in our yard that is of the "Red/Taiga (Eastern)" race.
      We saw it briefly late yesterday, but this morning I was able to get very good
      looks in the scope. In the fading light Monday, the reddish streaking on the
      mantle, reddish wash on the crown, and the reddish pattern on the auriculars
      was not apparent, making it look more like the "Slate Colored/Interior" race
      (but not Thick-billed). Today, I studied it as often as I could see it. Jim just
      now got looks in the scope, too. It is definitely an Eastern Red.

      I went online to Google. If you put "Fox Sparrow Photo" on the search line,
      our bird looks like a combination of Greg Lavaty's and Bob Moul's photos
      on www.pbase.com and the Cornell/P.Lowther photo. It is quite striking,
      especially the super bright, rusty-red rump and dorsal side of the tail. The
      malar stripes and base of the throat have a hint of light cream.
      Also, new to our yard are three Varied Thrushes visiting since yesterday.

      Karen Havlena
      Ten Mile River Area
      North of Fort Bragg