Ukiah-area birds 1/15

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2007
      Greetings Mendobirders- It being a beautiful, bright morning, I got out
      and about for some early birding. At the USTP I found a group of about 15
      CHIPPING SPARROWS in the blackberries on the south side of the ponds. I
      was surprised at the array of plumages in these birds as some of them
      appeared to be molting into alternate plumage already. There were 4 TREE
      SWALLOWS and a single BARN SWALLOW working over the ponds. It was nice to
      hear the bubbly chatter of the Tree Swallows. Both the north and middle
      ponds are now pretty much full of water and most of the former muddy
      habitat has disappeared. Not surprisingly the numbers of shorebirds has
      declined. I saw 12 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS, about 15 LEAST SANDPIPERS, and
      the Dunlin seem to have left the area. At the south boat launch at Lake
      Mendocino I saw an adult BALD EAGLE along the Hunter's Cove area to the
      east. From the Pomo day-use area on the north end I saw an adult WESTERN
      GULL, the 1 CACKLING and 2 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE that George
      reported, and 6 CANVASBACK. I was hard pressed to find a couple of LESSER
      SCAUP and never did see any Clark's Grebes. There were only 4 species of
      ducks at the USTP. Can anyone explain the dearth of water birds in this
      area this winter?

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Ukiah, CA 95482