Sooty Grouse

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 9, 2007
      Tue, 09 Jan 2007 -- This afternoon Tim Derry and I flushed a SOOTY (Blue)
      GROUSE on private property along Longbranch Creek NW of Potter Valley. They
      must be more widely distributed, but I don't run into them very often. I
      haven't seen one in Mendocino Co. in nearly two years.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • Jerry White
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 11, 2010
        Tuesday March 9th
        I spent about an hour plus in the morning looking for and listening for Sooty Grouse in the vicinity of the second cattle guard on Low Gap Road with no success. Then on the drive back down towards Ukiah there was a male SOOTY GROUSE on the road. It immediately took flight and disappeared into the forest below. This was about 2.6 miles west of the intersection of Low Gap and Pine Ridge Road and about .5 miles west of milepost 16.97.

        At the Ukiah Treatment Ponds there were 6 to 8 Northern Rough-winged Swallows; the first ones I had seen this year. Jerry White

      • Marigold Klein
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 16, 2013
          Two places I've seen or heard sooty grouse are :
            Mill Creek Park...
          saw one near the road once... haven't heard them calling there though.
            And
          the new addition to Montgomery Woods.  Heard the booming about this time of
          year, two years ago, in the area where it opens up into grassland.  It was
          coming from a wooded hill to the right of the trail.
            The new addition is
          about a mile east of the old grove, just a bit after crossing (Pruit?) creek.
          There's an easy to miss right turn into a little parking area and a sign in
          there telling about it being public land.  The trail goes up along the creek,
          then across (not too hard to jump to logs) and winds up to a split in the
          trail.   Go right to another creek crossing (best to wade this one), and after a
          bit the trail starts opening up to grassland.  That's the area.  Beautiful hike
          too.
          You do have to go past one old no longer current no trespassing sign
          that no one has bothered to go through the poison oak to remove, but as long as
          you realize that you're on public land, not a problem.  This new addition to the
          park goes all the way to Leonard Lake, but if you go that far you will be on
          private land.  You might meet horses out in the grassland but they are grazing
          the public land.

        • birdmanofthewoods4
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 16, 2013
            Just to try and clarify things (or make them more confusing), I learned these birds as the Spruce Grouse. The Sooty Grouse (Dendragapus fuligenosus)has been split off from the Dusky Grouse (Dendragapus obscurus). The two species used to be lumped together and known as the Blue Grouse.