"Al"

  • Bernice Camuso
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2007
      Mendobirders, Sorry for the late report but I felt it important to
      report. Fellow birder Don Wyman and I drove up from San Jose hoping to
      see the Albatross of Pt. Arena. This was the third try for the bird in
      the past three years and with all the recent stories about his/her leg
      injury, I thought we better get up there. On Sunday (7th)for one last
      try. Four hours later after lunch there in the cove area we joined
      several people--not all birders--who were standing at the end of the
      pier. It was about one-thirty, windy and cold. As we waited most of
      the others left, one was a fellow birder from our South Bay Bird group.
      Just about two Al flew in from the left side of the pier and landed
      just off the right end of it. Another fellow got the thrill of seeing
      it fly in all from the south as I caught the flight just before it
      landed in the water. To my surprise this life bird for Don and I was
      not as large as I had thought. Al remained floating about the area on
      the right side of the pier for several hours as we waited--hoping to
      see the bird fly. The sea was rough but we still got good scope views.
      Al approached several surfers obviously interacting with them with
      open beak. Later Al tried to tuck in his/her head for a snooze but for
      the most part was up during the time we were there. We checked after
      seven and Al was still out there.
      Sunday afternoon we also saw a gorgeous pair of Red-breasted Mergansers
      in full plumage in the same area feeding in the rough water. It is a
      rare treat to see these birds with their red breast! Thank you
      Mendobirds.
      Bernice Camuso, San Jose
      Don Wyman, Morgan Hill

      http://mail.yahoo.com