Re: [Mendobirds] Glaucous Gull

  • Feather Forestwalker
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 8, 2007
      Hi, Rich,

      Looks like a first-year Glaucous Gull to me! :) Nice shots.

      Feather

    • Feather Forestwalker
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5 2:36 PM
        Somewhere on this list recently I read that someone had spotted a Glaucous Gull at Virgin Creek.

        It was still there yesterday on top of a headland rock separated from the cliffs and not near the creek mouth- resting on the grassy blufftop amongst the Mendocino Indian Paintbrushes and other wildflowers. . .it was pretty windy out.

        Solid white bird with transluscent wingtips and a dark beak, larger than most of the other gulls that were milling around overhead.

        Feather

      • George Chaniot
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 28, 2008
          Thu, 27 Mar 2008 -- Joanne Haller and I birded the north coast
          Thursday from Ten Mile River to Navarro River. It was a beautiful,
          clear day with an onshore wind, but not very birdy. The most
          interesting bird we found was a 1st winter GLAUCOUS GULL sitting with
          a group of Western Gulls on the beach by the parking lot at Laguna Point.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA
        • birdmanofthewoods
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 22, 2011
            I would rate my gull identification skills as mediocre at best, but if you want to see a sub-adult glaucous gull, it is pretty obvious at McKerricker parking lot. Good spotting by Toby. I completely mis-identificed the bird when I first saw it a couple of days back as a weird glaucous-winged gull as it seems to be mixed in with all the glaucous-winged gulls out there at the moment.

            Anyway, if you feel a need to stare at gulls for a minute or two, the glaucous gull is hanging along the shore at the Laguna Point parking lot. Look for the really BIG gull. Even I could pick it out. Thanks Toby.

            Also seen: single juvinile male white winged scoter that is also hard to miss and has been hanging around McKerricker.

            Rick