USTP VGSW and SNGO

  • choatzin
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2006
      Barbara Dolan, Geoff Heinecken, and I were surprised to see a Violet-
      green Swallow circling low over the north pond of the Ukiah Sewage
      Treatment Plant this morning.

      As we were leaving, a flock of 18 Canada, 3 Cackling, and 1 Snow Goose
      flew in to the south pond.The three of us studied the Snow Goose until
      closing, unsure whether this was the Chen (Ross's x Lesser Snow Goose?)
      seen by Matthew Matthiessen on the CBC. The grin patch on this bird
      was easily seen with a scope and although the goose was smaller than
      the Canadas, it seemed comparable in size to the Cacklers. Geoff and I
      stopped at Mountanos pond on Old River Road on our way home and sure
      enough the Chen was still there with the ducks and domestic geese,
      appearing much more Rossy than the USTP goose.

      Long-billed Dowitchers and Dunlin continue in the middle pond.

      Cheryl Watson
      Ukiah