Clark's Nutcracker/Evening Grosbeak/Lake County

  • dlwoodward1@home.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 14, 2001
      Today (10/14) Mary Beth and Brian Woodward and I walked the 4
      miles from the Summit Springs Trailhead to the Milk Ranch on Snow
      Mtn., a location that is rarely searched for birds in fall. We were
      all rewarded with some excellent Lake County birds. Highlights were
      23 Clark's Nutcrackers (3 of those were seen in both Lake and Colusa
      Counties not far past the trailhead, the rest at the Milk Ranch
      Meadow). Also at the Milk Ranch Meadow were at least 34 Evening
      Grosbeaks and a N. Goshawk. Other species seen during the day
      included White-headed Woodpecker, Cassin's Finch, Mountain Chickadee,
      Townsend's Solitaire, Varied Thrush, Hermit Thrush, Ruby-crowned
      Kinglet, Pine Sisken, Winter Wren, Violet-green Swallow, Western
      Bluebird, Cedar Waxwing, Band-tailed Pigeon, Fox Sparrow, Golden-
      crowned Sparrow, Am. Kestrel, Red-tailed Hawk and an immature Golden
      Eagle. Dave Woodward
    • Quince Amanda
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 15, 2001
        On October 12th, I was quite surprised to see a Red
        Tail Hawk eating carrion by the roadside. Not fresh
        roadkill, either, but a deer carcass that had been
        well worked over by the turkey vultures and ravens.
        Is this unusual? I have never seen such a thing
        before. Q.A.

        http://personals.yahoo.com
      • Feather Forestwalker
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 15, 2001
          Hi, Amanda,

          It is very common, when hungry or stressed in other ways by lack of food, for
          a redtailed hawk to eat carrion. They'll even eat suet from a birdfeeder as
          well as earthworms, if they are hungry enough.

          Feather