Lake Mendocino, 8 Dec

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2006
      Fri, 08 Dec 2006 -- I did a survey of Lake Mendocino this morning with an
      eye to the upcoming CBC on Dec. 16. I was surprised at how few waterfowl
      were present. Maybe this will change with the approaching storm system.
      The lake level has been dropping to 724.8 feet, and there is mud and gravel
      exposure around the south boat ramp, Perry Creek Cove, south of Miti
      Campground, and at the mouth of the inlet. Nonetheless, the whole south end
      of the lake was devoid of birds other than the menagerie around the feeding
      area at the south boat ramp. Most of the waterfowl were along the north
      shore - best viewed from the Oak Grove parking lot. Two Canada Geese have
      been in this area for weeks, but today they were joined by a singleton
      GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE. (There is another GWFG on the Christmas Star
      Vineyard pond in Potter Valley) At the mouth of the Russian River inlet
      there were LEAST SANDPIPERS, and a drake GADWALL.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA

      Horned Grebe 2
      Eared Grebe 1