Daytime Saw-Whet

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2006
      Thu, 07 Dec 2006 -- Tim Derry and I were hiking Longbranch Creek on private
      property and heard a NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL calling from 09:00-09:05 a.m. It
      was hidden in a group of Douglas Firs on the edge of some chaparral. A pair
      of Steller's Jays were mobbing it, but they were not making the noise. I
      remember hearing Saw-Whet calling in the daytime only one other time.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA