Rough-legged Hawk

  • richhubie
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2006
      Toby Tobkin is reporting that she saw an imm. Rough-legged Hawk on
      Wednesday (12/06/06) at 11:00 AM. The location was just North of
      Hunter's Lagoon on a fence Post. Hunter's Lagoon is off of Stoneboro
      Rd. which connects to Highway 1 just South of Manchester.

      She also reported 4 Swans (presumed Tundra)in the Brush Creek Wetlands
      which is just North of the lagoon.

      Richard Hubacek for Toby.
    • Charles
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 25, 2009
        I believe this is a Rough-legged Hawk - looks like light juv.

        http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a338/cnummelin/animals/birds/rough-legged%20hawk/2-25-09/

        Saw it here in Round Valley, hanging around the intersection of Fairbanks Rd and hwy 162, several times today.

        charles
      • Bob Keiffer
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 27, 2009
          27 March 2009 - Friday - The Rough-legged Hawk was still near the Fairbanks Lane/Hwy 162/Poonkinney Road junctions as reported yesterday by Charles. I saw no other raptors in Round Valley other than Red-tailed Hawks and Am. Kestrels. A House Wren (my first for the year) was singing near the Eel River Ranger camp area ....no Canyon Wrens could be found. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

        • Linda Perkins
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 28, 2013
            Hi, All,

            Yesterday afternoon at Navarro Point headlands south of Albion at about 4 PM we saw a rough-legged hawk soaring and hovering.

            The rough-legged hawk tried to use the prime hovering spot above the hills on the east side of the highway but two red-legged hawks had already claimed the territory and ganged up on it, ordering it to 'move on' - which it did.

            Linda Perkins