Palm Warbler and Tricolored Blackbird just north of Willets

  • Jim Tietz
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2006
      Hi Mendobirders,

      Five miles north of Willets, Rebecca Green and I
      stopped along Reynold's Hwy to check out the birds
      from 3:30 to 4:40PM. We drove about a half mile down
      and parked and then walked another half mile.
      Highlights were a Western Palm Warbler amongst a flock
      of Audubon's Warblers and a male Tricolored Blackbird
      with the numerous Bicolored Blackbirds.

      This is a great stretch of road to bird while passing
      through Willets. In the winter, the waterfowl in the
      flooded fields are abundant. Hooded Mergansers, Wood
      Ducks, and Ring-necked Ducks are easy to find here.
      Raptors can also be good here. I've seen Cooper's and
      Ferruginous Hawks, Peregrine Falcon, and White-tailed
      Kites. Oak woodland species are also present here
      such as Nuttall's and Acorn Woodpecker, Oak Titmouse,
      and White-breasted Nuthatch.

      Description of Palm Warbler - It was slightly smaller
      than the 3 Audubon's Warblers flocking with it. It
      stayed above me in an oak the entire time of
      observation so I was not able to see the bird's
      upperparts well. Undertail coverts yellow. Tail black
      and bobbed constantly. White tailspots obvious from
      below. White patch between legs. Chest and belly
      pale grayish with darker gray blurry streaks. Throat
      white. Face and malar dark gray contrasting with
      white supercilium and malar stripe. Wings and mantle
      grayish-brown. Wingbars not noticed. Rump and crown
      not seen.

      Location: Outlet Creek
      Observation date: 12/4/06
      Number of species: 33

      California Quail 2
      Great Egret 1
      Turkey Vulture 4
      White-tailed Kite 2
      Red-shouldered Hawk 1
      American Kestrel 1
      Red-breasted Sapsucker 1
      Nuttall's Woodpecker 2
      Northern Flicker 3
      Black Phoebe 3
      Western Scrub-Jay 2
      Common Raven 10
      White-breasted Nuthatch 1
      Bewick's Wren 1
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet 2
      Western Bluebird 10
      Hermit Thrush 1
      American Robin 12
      European Starling 113
      Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) 3
      Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 4
      Palm Warbler (Western) 1
      Spotted Towhee 5
      California Towhee 4
      Song Sparrow 7
      White-crowned Sparrow 2
      Golden-crowned Sparrow 7
      Dark-eyed Junco 8
      Red-winged Blackbird 145
      Tricolored Blackbird 1
      Brewer's Blackbird 90
      Purple Finch 2
      House Finch 3
      Lesser Goldfinch 1

      This report was generated automatically by eBird v2
      (http://www.ebird.org)

      Good birding,
      Jim

      James R. Tietz