Robins!

  • mohagan1984
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2006
      I think of robins as a Spring bird, but I seem to be hearing them
      everywhere these last few days around Ukiah.
    • Janet
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2006
        Are you a recent migrant from the north? :-) I ask
        because when I arrived from NY to SF Bay area over 30
        yrs ago that was also my first reaction, then I
        realized, Hey! THIS is where they go when they fly
        away for the winter!
        (and a hint why Ukiah area is so popular right now:
        all the lovely red berries on the toyon. mmmmm good if
        you're a robin!)
        --- mohagan1984 <mohagan@...> wrote:

        > I think of robins as a Spring bird, but I seem to be
        > hearing them
        > everywhere these last few days around Ukiah.

        Janet Rosen
        http://www.zanshinart.com
        "Love will enter when hate is gone"--Percy Mayfield

      • Feather Forestwalker
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2006
          That's because Robins flock in late fall and winter to eat berries and TONS of them

          They really aren't a harbinger of spring that we read of in poems; they have become fairly irruptive rather than migratory in their movements during the late fall and winter months and we might see huge flocks eating berries one day, and then they're gone the next, only to have them return again.

          In Spring they will pair off and return to their breeding grounds. We might have resident birds mixing with wanderers this time of year- some from much farther north. . .

          Feather