Re:Hooded Mergansers-Beckstoffer Vineyard pond

  • Maureen O'Hagan
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2006
      I visited the pond Saturday afternoon (starting around 2 p.m.) and there
      were not a lot of birds there - coots, a few Northern Shovelers, quite a
      few Ruddy ducks, a pied-billed grebe, and a pair of buffleheads. I
      tried, unsuccessfully, to turn the male bufflehead into a male Hooded
      Merganser, and then after I'd been there a while, a real pair of Hooded
      Mergansers appeared, and the male was unmistakable. (Just a single pair
      - I think they had been sleeping over on the far right of the pond where
      I couldn't see them from where I was on the access road). They swam
      back and forth and then bathed, so I got a good look at them. They are
      beautiful, especially the male! When I left about 3:15 they were still
      in view.

    • Kate Marianchild
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2006
        Larry Knowles and Erica Fielder saw a female Hooded Merganser about 1
        mile up Ten-mile River on Sunday. It was with a small group of
        Buffleheads.

        Kate