Peregrine Audubon Society December Presentation

  • choatzin
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2006
      What is that Bird?
      Special to the Journal by Roger Foote

      Winter is fast approaching, the holidays are with us, and our local
      birds are helping themselves at our feeders again. Every year I am
      determined to identify those little critters, each and every one!
      Sure I make some progress, but what of those tough ones that look so
      similar, those little brown jobs hopping around under the feeder?
      Yes, I know most are sparrows and surely those feeding above are
      finches, but which species is each? I definitely need an expert!

      Peregrine Audubon has those experts who can help bring us a step
      closer to our goal on Thursday, December 7, 2006, at 7:00 p.m. in the
      Ukiah City Council Chambers. That is when Bob Keiffer and Matthew
      Matthiessen will point out distinguishing field marks of our Ukiah
      area birds. Sparrows and finches, jays and blackbirds, ducks and
      geese, as well as the raptors, the hawks and owls, will be discussed
      and illustrated in living color (or at least in shades of winter
      brown). Matthew has revised and expanded his beautiful slide
      presentation from last December. His photos will allow us to learn
      more about identification.

      Bring your tough questions for the experts. What sparrows can I
      expect in my back yard this winter? How do sparrows and finches
      differ? Is it really possible to distinguish the house from the
      purple finch? What are the hawks that I see in the valley? Anyone
      interested in birdcalls? Bob and Matthew can help with that too.

      Peregrine Audubon also offers help in the field. Beginners and
      experienced birders can come to the December 7 meeting and sign up
      with Bob Keiffer for our Christmas Bird Count (CBC), which takes
      place on Saturday, December 16. Bob will match you with a group that
      can best help take you that next step toward better bird biology. The
      really avid begin before daybreak and in all kinds of weather. The
      rest of us can participate for parts of the day or even count at home
      if we live within the 15 mile diameter count circle (which includes
      Ukiah). We meet after the CBC for a potluck dinner in the Grace
      Hudson Museum Public Room on South Main Street. Bring a dish and your
      eating utensils and join us at 6:00 p.m. By all means, contact Bob
      Keiffer (744-1160) to get details.

      Directions to the Ukiah City Council Chambers for the December 7
      meeting and slide show: from Hwy 101: take Perkins St. east to North
      State St.; turn left and head south; take the third right (Seminary
      Ave) and go to the end.