Peregrine Audubon November Program

  • choatzin
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2006
      Crossing the Pacific- A Sailing Adventure in the South Pacific

      Presented by Ron LeValley
      Thursday November 16 at 7PM at the Ukiah Civic Center

      Peregrine Audubon will be bringing back one of our most popular and
      dynamic speakers, naturalist and pelagic bird biologist, Ron
      LeValley. Ron has recently returned from a trans-Pacific sailing
      odyssey to the Marquesas Islands. Ron had given himself the project
      of counting, recording and trying to photograph all of the birds and
      wildlife encountered on this voyage, and he will be sharing that
      adventure with us: "Crossing the Pacific- A Sailing Adventure in the
      South Pacific."

      On April 1, 2006, after a pleasant week in Baja, Ron joined a few
      friends for the sailing voyage of a lifetime. From La Paz, Baja,
      Mexico to the island of Tahiti, their final destination, took 7
      weeks. Their initial stop was at the Revilla de los Gigedos Islands,
      a marine sanctuary 300 miles southwest of Baja. Here they were able
      to dive in absolutely clear water and encountered rich marine life,
      sharks, and a mother and calf Humpbacked Whale. Then the crew of the
      Seafever5 spent the next 3 weeks in open ocean waters before reaching
      the Marquesas. En route, they crossed the equator and shared a "Tuna
      Blood" cocktail as a sacrifice to King Neptune so he would protect
      them through the remainder of the voyage. They sailed on through the
      lush volcanic islands of the Tuamotos, where the scenery and culture
      inspired Melville and Gauguin. They were able to explore some of
      these islands, touring archeological sites and enjoying the local
      plants and wildlife. Finally, on May 17, they reached their
      destination in Tahiti.

      Join us as Ron shares his photographs from this exciting Pacific
      crossing to French Polynesia. We sail with Captain LeValley at 7 pm
      on Thursday, November 16. Our ship is docked at the Ukiah Civic
      Center, 300 Seminary Avenue. Passage is free to the public, but
      donations are accepted. We hope to see you on board.