Lapland Longspurs - Mendocino 10/28/06

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2006
      Hi Birders- This morning at 8:30, I saw 2 Lapland Longspurs on
      the Mendocino Headlands. They were south of the monument
      and dirt parking lot at the foot of Little Lake St. I was out on the
      trail closest to the ocean. From behind me where the short grass
      meets the long grass, I heard the "rattle" call. Turning, I saw the
      2 birds fly a short distance further south (and nearer to me).
      They landed about 15 yards away on the edge of the slope. One
      bird flew down to the narrow, strip of green grass. The other
      bird joined it. When I left, they had flown back up to the edge
      of the slope and the trail.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg