Lake Cleone - Red Crossbills

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 2006
      This morning I walked around Lake Cleone in MacKerricher St Park.
      There was a group of about 9 or 10 Red Crossbills in the tall, shore
      pines on the SSE side of the lake. Two were adult, orange-red males.
      Warblers included Orange-crowned, Townsend's, Yellow-rumped and
      Common Yellowthroat.
      Along the ocean, an Osprey made its way south near Laguna Point.
      Just south of the Lake Cleone restrooms, a male Northern Harrier
      hovered and hunted only a few yards from me. I got great looks at
      that beautiful bird.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg