the gull and the crayfish

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 2006
      I was on the Feather River last week and saw a juvenile gull with a
      crayfish in its mouth. Suddenly the crayfish was no longer in the
      gull's mouth, but was clinging to the left side of its breast. The gull
      kept making short little hop-flights trying to get rid of it, to no
      avail. The gull cried out piteously over and over again, fluttering up
      into the air and landing in a new place every time. The other gulls
      didn't seem to notice. I wish I could have seen the end of this drama,
      but my kayaking group was heading downstream and I had to keep moving.
      Would another gull have finally pulled it off?