Lake County

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 160 , Oct 23, 2006
      On 22 October, a CACKLING GOOSE and a male EURASIAN
      WIGEON were at Borax Lake, about 75 HORNED GREBES
      (outnumbering EARED GREBES) and an adult
      GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL were at Clearlake, and seven
      CINNAMON TEAL were at the Hidden Valley Lake
      Wastewater Treatment Plant (HVLWTP).

      Belated bird observations at HVLWTP include: four
      CINNAMON TEAL on 23 September and 15 October; a
      PECTORAL SANDPIPER on 1 October (best of eight
      shorebird species recorded this fall); and what
      appeared to be a melanistic NORTHERN SHOVELER that was
      jet black with neatly patterned paler-fringed feathers
      (unlikely to have been oiled) and pale outer tail
      feathers on 23 September (unfortunately not
      photographed).

      And very belatedly, four CANVASBACKS were at Detert
      Reservoir on 23 September and a flock of 34 RED-NECKED
      PHALAROPES at Borax Lake on 10 September.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, Lake County
    • stevestump
      Message 160 of 160 , Nov 15, 2014