HREC COMO's/Round Vly LEWO's

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2006
      Greetings Mendobirders: At noon today I saw 2 COMMON MOORHENS on the
      middle sag pond at the UC Hopland Research and Extension Center. The
      last time there was a Moorhen here it stayed into the winter. Early
      in the morning 3 LEWIS's WOODPECKERS were in the oaks at our upper
      weather station at 3000'. With regards to the woodpeckers, I am
      copying below a note I received from Lue Owens of Covelo. She
      reports that she is seeing them at their usual spot along Dobie
      Lane. This is easily the most reliable spot in Mendocino County to
      see these birds.

      "Yesterday, October 22, I saw at least five (5) Lewis's Woodpeckers
      on Dobie Lane, 1.3 mile north of where it starts at Fairbanks
      Road. A fence goes west across the field, and there are two trees on
      the north side of the fence close to the road, and one on the south
      side a little farther away, and they flew back and forth. I am
      putting down the details because I read in the "Falcon Flyer" that
      sometimes people come out here birding. "

      Chuck