Usal Camp 10/18/06

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 18, 2006
      This morning Jim and I traveled up to Usal Camp again. The
      weather was a little windy early, but it got pretty warm later.
      Last night was quite clear with high pressure. There are less
      people there mid-week, so we went ahead.

      The best bird we could find was a wayward Bewick's Wren!
      A N Flicker looked like an intergrade (neither Red- or Yellow-
      shafted), but it was at a distance, so I could not be sure.

      There were the usual large flocks in the same places as in
      past weeks. Other birds besides RCKI and CBCH were
      Warbling Vireo, Townsend's, Orange-crowned & Yellow-rumped
      Warblers, Pine Siskins, Golden-crowned Kinglets, Lesser Gold-
      finch, the usual sparrows, etc. Even the Great Blue Heron has
      departed. The spots of water have almost completely dried up.

      It is surely a great birding spot, though.

      Karen & Jim Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg