N Pygmy Owl - Lake Cleone - Oct 13 '06

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13, 2006
      This morning, due to cold, foggy conditions, Jim and I got a late
      start and went to Lake Cleone. We started on the south side of
      the lake with a very large, pure flock of Yellow-rumped Warblers.
      We saw at least 70 YRWAs fly in like a stream of Sooty Shear-
      waters. There were 6 Ring-necked Ducks and over 100 Am Coots
      on the lake.
      On the southeast side, a N Pygmy Owl was mobbed by Bushtits,
      R-C Kinglets and chickadees. The owl was perched directly above
      the trail.
      Virtually no other warblers or vireos were seen around the board-
      walk trail. The owl sighting was exciting, though.

      Karen & Jim Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg