Red-necked Grebe at Lake Mendocino

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2006
      Sun, 08 Oct 2006 -- On today's Big Sit at Lake Mendocino Chuck Vaughn
      spotted a RED-NECKED GREBE among the many Western Grebesin the center
      of the Lake. This is one of the very few inland records of this
      species. Also of interest were the first season records of LEWIS'S
      WOODPECKER, BONAPARTE'S GULL, and COMMON LOON. Our total for the day
      was 75 species, about average for the eight years that we have done
      this event. Lewis's Woodpecker was new to the circle, and the
      cumulative list is now 118 species. To see the full list and details
      go to
      http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/site/funbirds/bigsit/results06/stats
      .php?find_type=circle&find=Twitch+Whiffers

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA