Some Weekend Sightings

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2001
      Sat, 6 Oct 2001 -- Several groups of ALEUTIAN CANADA GEESE were seen flying
      along the coast. Almost all showed white neck rings in the afternoon light.
      A group of 70 flew south over Inglenook Fen followed by a group of about
      350. Later a group of 70 was seen flying north at Laguna Point.

      Sun, 7 Oct 2001 -- Chris Slingsby and Rya Rubenthaller report seeing a
      BURROWING OWL in Potter Valley in the pastures east of the pond on Burris
      Lane. This was about 12:30. I tried to see it about an hour and a half
      later but was unable to refind it. There have been more recent reports of
      Burrowing owls in this vicinity, and in the lower pasture with the bulls
      west of the barn with the red roof, and in the grassy fields between Burris
      Lane and Pine Avenue.

      Sun, 7 Oct 2001 -- This morning Chuck Vaughn, Matthew Matthiessen, and I
      made a trip to the Hull Mountain area mainly to look for the Clark's
      Nutcrackers reported recently. We crossed through the Hull Creek drainage
      on Forest Service Road 20N16 from High Rock on M6 to Monkey Rock on M1.
      None of us had ever birded this road before. The road was in good condition
      and easy to drive except for the last quarter mile near Monkey Rock which
      is definitely for high clearance four-wheel-drive. We did not find any
      nutcrackers but had an interesting day birding. A full list follows. --
      George Chaniot

      Turkey Vulture
      Cooper's Hawk
      Red-tailed Hawk
      American Kestrel
      California Quail
      Mountain Quail
      Band-tailed Pigeon 12
      Mourning Dove
      Acorn Woodpecker
      White-headed Woodpecker 5
      Northern Flicker
      Violet-green Swallow
      Steller's Jay
      W. Scrub Jay
      Common Raven
      Mountain Chickadee
      Red-breasted Nuthatch many
      Golden-crowned Kinglet
      Western Bluebird
      Townsend's Solitaire 5, from 3850' to 6100'
      Hermit Thrush
      American Robin
      Wrentit
      Cedar Waxwing
      Audubon's Y-r Warbler
      Spotted Towhee
      Fox Sparrow 3, Slate-colored, not the local _brevicauda_ breeders
      Golden-crowned Sparrow
      White-crowned Sparrow
      Oregon D-e Junco
      Pine Sisken