Usal Camp- Blk & Wht Warbler - 9/27/06

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2006
      Jim & I had a BLACK & WHITE WARBLER and an imm. Black-
      throated Gray Warbler at Usal Camp among almost 60 species.
      A heavy marine layer about 150 ft. above the campground kept
      birding somewhat quiet. We also had Bonaparte's Gull, Sharp-
      shinned & Cooper's Hawks, Warbling Vireo, Cedar Waxwings
      and Vaux' Swift.

      Jim commented on how nice it was to bird in quiet surroundings,
      without the traffic at most of the coastal creek mouths. The
      weekend can have many more people, as Matthew related on
      Saturday. So, mid-week is the best time to go to Usal. The
      turnoff from Hwy 1 is at milepost 90.88, east of Rockport.
      Then drive 6 miles on a steep, windy dirt road. There is a
      $3 day use fee.

      Karen & Jim Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg