Sep 15 & 17, 2006 Trip Reports

  • Debi Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2006
      Hi, Seabirders,

      This is the trip report for Shearwater Journeys' Sep 15 and 17 pelagic
      trips. The Sep 15th trip from Bodega Bay was weathered out at the port
      the morning of the trip. Gale force winds had began blowing after
      midnight on the 14th. It was impossible to take the boat out the next
      morning. Although boat trips from Bodega Bay can be weathered out any
      time of the year, usually September is our best weather month. We had
      just had 45 days of very calm seas, so I guess it was bound to happen.

      Many of the birders who had signed up for the trip on the 15th, were
      also scheduled for the Fort Bragg trip on the 17th. So, those of us who
      were, birded our way north along Highway 1 from Bodega Bay to Fort
      Bragg on the 16th. Many out-of-state birders headed up to Mountain View
      Road to successfully find MOUNTAIN QUAIL. A few lucky birders also
      found NORTHERN PYGMY OWLS on this road, and in Van Damme State Park.

      On Sep 17th the swells were still quite large, and winds were from the
      northwest at 15-20 knots. Highlights of our trip included BLACK-FOOTED
      ALBATROSS, MARBLED MURRELETS off Usal River mouth, and two BLUE WHALES.
      Leaders on the 17th were: Lisa Hug, Jim Danzenbaker, Scott Terrill, &
      Debra Shearwater. Our species list is unusually low due to the
      difficult weather conditions.

      Species recorded on Sep 17th from Fort Bragg:

      PACIFIC LOON-8
      COMMON LOON-1
      WESTERN GREBE-3
      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS-4-5
      PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER-325
      BULLER'S SHEARWATER-18
      SOOTY SHEARWATER-468
      BROWN PELICAN-80
      BRANDT'S CORMORANT-45
      DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT-2
      PELAGIC CORMORANT-2
      WANDERING TATTLER-3
      RUDDY TURNSTONE-2
      BLACK TURNSTONE-8
      RED-NECKED PHALAROPE-35
      RED PHALAROPE-9
      SOUTH POLAR SKUA-1
      POMARINE JAEGER-1
      HEERMANN'S GULL-180
      CALIFORNIA GULL-38
      WESTERN GULL-350
      WESTERN/GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL-12
      SABINE'S GULL-2
      COMMON MURRE-1524
      PIGEON GUILLEMOT-5
      MARBLED MURRELET-4
      RHINOCEROS AUKLET-43
      HARBOR SEAL-5
      MINKE WHALE-1
      BLUE WHALE-2
      HUMPBACK WHALE-3
      PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED DOLPHIN-2
      HARBOR PORPOISE-15-20
      VAUX'S SWIFTS flying over Noyo Bridge while the boat was at the dock.

      Thank you, one and all,
      Debi

      Debra Love Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys