Mendocino Headlands on Sunday

  • mohagan1984
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2006
      On Sunday, September 24, I saw (what I think was) a juvenile red-necked
      phalarope near the cliffs off the Mendocino Headlands (by the north
      parking lot). It was a single, small, elegant white seabird with gray
      on the back, a black cap, black line through the eye, and a black,
      needle-like bill. I also saw 8 black turnstones on the rocks near by.
      We had originally stopped to get a good look at the brown pelicans, who
      were on the farther rocks in a considerable group (adults and
      juveniles). I had also seen the pelicans in Agate Cove Thursday
      evening, some in the water filling their pouches. The bird book said
      the pelicans only migrate through this area, but where we stayed in
      Mendocino said the pelicans had been around for a couple of weeks. Is
      that a normal migration pattern?
      Maureen O'Hagan