Fall Big Day 2001

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2001
      Sat, 29 Sep 2001 -- On Saturday Chuck Vaughn, Matthew Matthiessen, and I
      participated in the PRBO Bird-o-thon representing Mendocino County. We were
      joined on the coast by Dorothy Tobkin and Jerry and Nikki White. This is
      the fifth year that we have done this event. We ended the day with 147
      species, breaking the previous fall record by one.
      The first bird of the day was a Barn Owl at 4:45 in the town of
      Hopland. We continued owling on the grounds of the Hopland Field Station,
      and by sunup we had five species. The fifth was a LONG-EARED OWL hooting on
      the top of the ridge at the poorwill hour just as the light was gathering
      in the east. This was probably the best bird of the day.
      After we worked our way down from the ridge through the chaparral
      and oak woodland we went on to the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant where
      Matthew spotted a pair of VESPER SPARROWS, as reported earlier - another
      very good species locally.
      From there we went to the Joe Riley picnic area at Lake Mendocino
      and scoped the lake for waterfowl and shorebirds. Then on for a brief visit
      to Burris Lane in Potter Valley where we picked up a few species not seen
      elsewhere during the day, and then back to the inlet and the Mesa Day Use
      area at the lake.
      Zipping to the coast through Boonville, we met up with the rest of
      the party at Navarro Beach and headed up the coast, hitting Caspar Creek,
      Brewery Gulch, Mendocino Headlands, Glass Beach, Bald Hill, Virgin Creek,
      Laguna Point, Lake Cleone, and Ward Avenue.
      At Glass Beach we found a gorgeous pair of HARLEQUIN DUCKS at close
      range. On Bald Hill Road there was an early FERRUGINOUS HAWK. At Laguna
      Point we had good scoping conditions and picked up POMARINE JAEGER,
      PARASITIC JAEGER (probably Long-tailed too) and PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER from
      shore, among others. On the Lake Cleone boardwalk an unexpected LONG-BILLED
      CURLEW announced itself and flew over in clear view. The last birds of the
      day were some BLACK SCOTERS at Ward Avenue in Cleone as the sun sank into
      the sea.
      It was a long, tiring, satisfying, and fun day, 3:15 AM to 10:30 PM
      for me. With every Big Day there are some Big Misses: Osprey, Say's Phoebe,
      Lewis's Woodpecker, Ruddy Duck, White-fronted Goose i.a. this year - all of
      which I've seen easily in the next day and a half. A full list follows --
      George Chaniot

      Sat, 29 Sep 2001 Mendocino County
      ================ ================

      Red-throated Loon