Eastern Kingbird

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 8, 2006
      8 Sept 2006 - Friday - 1:40 -2:30 PM There is an adult Eastern Kingbird
      foraging over the irrigated pasture at the lower elevation of the
      UC-Hopland Research & Extension Center. It would be viewable with binos
      or preferably a scope from the University Road (county road). In the short
      time that I looked at the pasture I saw 1 Willow Flycatcher, 2 Western
      Kingbirds, 2 Black Phoebes, 1 Say's Phoebe, and the Eastern
      Kingbird. There are also a dozen or so Western Bluebirds flycatching from
      the fences and sprinkler heads also. The EAKI ranges all over the pasture
      during the time that I watched it, at one time into the vineyard to the
      west, and another time atop the large Valley Oak tree at the NE side of the
      pastures. This bird may hang around until this evening ...the south wind
      helps to keep the migrating birds in place. You can call me 707-391-8190
      if you wish to pursue this bird this evening. Cheers. Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      Theodore Roosevelt

    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8, 2006
        Fri, 08 Sep 2006 -- The EASTERN KINGBIRD was still present this evening at
        the Hopland Research & Extension Center's permanent pasture along
        University Road. Barbara Dolan, Cheryl Watson, Geoff Heineken, and I found
        it at about 7:05 PM foraging from posts and sprinkler heads in the center
        of the pasture north of the road. I had been scoping the pasture and the
        vineyards to the west and south for nearly two and a half hours before we
        found it. So, as of sunset it was still in the area.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 13, 2012
          Hello, Thank you Chuck for telling us about the Eastern Kingbird!

          The Eastern Kingbird at the UWWTP was seen most of the day but disappeared for a couple hours in the afternoon. But, as I was locking up to leave at 3:30 pm it showed up again. It stayed around the Contact Basins most of the day and was there again at 3:30 on the guard rails around the tanks. The contact basins are immediately north of the sludge lagoon. I will try to post tomorrow am if the bird is still around. Steve Stump
        • George Chaniot
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 13, 2012
            Thu, 13 Sep 2012 -- To add to Steve's comments : I saw the kingbird with
            Steve and Jim Lomax on the guard rails of the Contact Basin at 1:23 P.M. I
            stayed on the bird until 1:48 when it flew up to the top of the nearest oak
            and sat for about two minutes. Then it took off flying to the E. at higher
            than treetop level. It flew clear to the East end of the ponds where I lost
            it against the hills. It may have swooped down into the trees along the
            Russian River. This is a move of over 400 yards, yet it returned to the
            Contact Basins later in the day.

            George Chaniot
            Potter Valley, MEN, CA

            > From: "Steve" <stevestump@...>
            > Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 23:42:44 -0000
            > To: Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [Mendobirds] RE: Eastern Kingbird
            >
            > Hello, Thank you Chuck for telling us about the Eastern Kingbird!
            >
            > The Eastern Kingbird at the UWWTP was seen most of the day but disappeared for
            > a couple hours in the afternoon. But, as I was locking up to leave at 3:30 pm
            > it showed up again. It stayed around the Contact Basins most of the day and
            > was there again at 3:30 on the guard rails around the tanks. The contact
            > basins are immediately north of the sludge lagoon. I will try to post tomorrow
            > am if the bird is still around. Steve Stump
          • Jack Booth
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 13, 2012
              John Luther saw it shortly before I arrived at 2:30. We did not see it again before we left at 3:00. Jack Booth
            • Steve
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 15, 2012
                Update- The Eastern Kingbird spotted on Thursday at the Ukiah WWTP continues this morning(Sat). Steve Stump