Eastern Kingbird

  • Tina Fabula
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 7, 2006
      Wed Sept 6th 18:00 hrs - I saw an Eastern Kingbird along MacKerricher
      Haul Road. The white-tipped black tail was evident. It was flycatching
      from posts along the east side of the Haul Road north of Virgin Creek
      about 1/8th mile, near a red house with white trim.

      -Tina Fabula
    • Robert J. Keiffer
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8, 2006
        8 Sept 2006 - Friday - 1:40 -2:30 PM There is an adult Eastern Kingbird
        foraging over the irrigated pasture at the lower elevation of the
        UC-Hopland Research & Extension Center. It would be viewable with binos
        or preferably a scope from the University Road (county road). In the short
        time that I looked at the pasture I saw 1 Willow Flycatcher, 2 Western
        Kingbirds, 2 Black Phoebes, 1 Say's Phoebe, and the Eastern
        Kingbird. There are also a dozen or so Western Bluebirds flycatching from
        the fences and sprinkler heads also. The EAKI ranges all over the pasture
        during the time that I watched it, at one time into the vineyard to the
        west, and another time atop the large Valley Oak tree at the NE side of the
        pastures. This bird may hang around until this evening ...the south wind
        helps to keep the migrating birds in place. You can call me 707-391-8190
        if you wish to pursue this bird this evening. Cheers. Bob Keiffer

        Robert J. Keiffer
        Principal Supt. of Agriculture
        UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
        4070 University Road
        Hopland, CA 95449
        (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

        Theodore Roosevelt

      • chaniot@pacific.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2006
          Fri, 08 Sep 2006 -- The EASTERN KINGBIRD was still present this evening at
          the Hopland Research & Extension Center's permanent pasture along
          University Road. Barbara Dolan, Cheryl Watson, Geoff Heineken, and I found
          it at about 7:05 PM foraging from posts and sprinkler heads in the center
          of the pasture north of the road. I had been scoping the pasture and the
          vineyards to the west and south for nearly two and a half hours before we
          found it. So, as of sunset it was still in the area.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 13, 2012
            Hello, Thank you Chuck for telling us about the Eastern Kingbird!

            The Eastern Kingbird at the UWWTP was seen most of the day but disappeared for a couple hours in the afternoon. But, as I was locking up to leave at 3:30 pm it showed up again. It stayed around the Contact Basins most of the day and was there again at 3:30 on the guard rails around the tanks. The contact basins are immediately north of the sludge lagoon. I will try to post tomorrow am if the bird is still around. Steve Stump
          • George Chaniot
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 13, 2012
              Thu, 13 Sep 2012 -- To add to Steve's comments : I saw the kingbird with
              Steve and Jim Lomax on the guard rails of the Contact Basin at 1:23 P.M. I
              stayed on the bird until 1:48 when it flew up to the top of the nearest oak
              and sat for about two minutes. Then it took off flying to the E. at higher
              than treetop level. It flew clear to the East end of the ponds where I lost
              it against the hills. It may have swooped down into the trees along the
              Russian River. This is a move of over 400 yards, yet it returned to the
              Contact Basins later in the day.

              George Chaniot
              Potter Valley, MEN, CA

              > From: "Steve" <stevestump@...>
              > Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 23:42:44 -0000
              > To: Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [Mendobirds] RE: Eastern Kingbird
              >
              > Hello, Thank you Chuck for telling us about the Eastern Kingbird!
              >
              > The Eastern Kingbird at the UWWTP was seen most of the day but disappeared for
              > a couple hours in the afternoon. But, as I was locking up to leave at 3:30 pm
              > it showed up again. It stayed around the Contact Basins most of the day and
              > was there again at 3:30 on the guard rails around the tanks. The contact
              > basins are immediately north of the sludge lagoon. I will try to post tomorrow
              > am if the bird is still around. Steve Stump
            • Jack Booth
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 13, 2012
                John Luther saw it shortly before I arrived at 2:30. We did not see it again before we left at 3:00. Jack Booth
              • Steve
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 15, 2012
                  Update- The Eastern Kingbird spotted on Thursday at the Ukiah WWTP continues this morning(Sat). Steve Stump