Bar-tailed Godwit continues at Virgin Creek

  • David Jensen
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 13, 2006
      Sunday, August 13, 2006: The BAR-TAILED GODWIT was present at Virgin Creek again today. For much of the day, the bird was feeding approximately 2/3 of the way north along the sandy beach (approximately 500 yards(?) north of Virgin Creek) where a group of Black-bellied Plovers often congregates. It often fed in the dry sand up from the surf zone, but would occassionally feed in the surf. At approximately 4:30 it returned to the impounded creek to bathe and rest, but aggressive Whimbrels forced it to fly north again.
      Other birds seen in the area today included eight HARLEQUIN DUCK, two PACIFIC GOLDEN-PLOVER and a BAIRD'S SANDPIPER.

    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 14, 2006
        Mon, 14 Aug 2006 -- This afternoon I went to Virgin Creek Beach to look for
        the BAR-TAILED GODWIT reported over the last week. I arrived at about 2:20
        and walked the full length of the beach several times without finding it.
        I walked clear to Laguna Point checking all the rocks and small coves.
        Finally at 5:20, after three hours, on my fourth pass, I found it as it was
        walking from the outer beach to the small lake impounded at the mouth of
        Virgin Creek. Here it tucked and went into resting mode. It flew off
        excitedly with a group of noisy Whimbrels -OK, I was getting too close -
        but it peeled off from the Whimbrels and landed at a small pool along the
        base of the bluff about 100 yards to the north. Here I watched it forage
        for about 45 minutes. On the landward side of the pool about 10 feet up
        from the water, it was very easy to overlook. It was not associating with
        any other birds and ignored a Marbled Godwit about 150 feet away. Finally,
        at 6:30, it flew off to the north, giving me good looks at its wing
        linings, and landed on the beach in the central third.
        Some other interesting birds in the area were a pair of bright
        PACIFIC GOLDEN PLOVERS with remnants of breeding plumage, a pair of
        gorgeous SURFBIRDS in alternate plumage, several WANDERING TATTLERS in
        alternate plumage, and a pair of MARBLED MURRELETS flying south past Laguna
        Point.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA
      • chaniot@pacific.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 16, 2006
          Wed, 16 Aug 2006 -- Dorothy Tobkin reports that she watched the BAR-TAILED
          GODWIT again today from about 5:00-6:00 pm at Virgin Creek Beach. It
          ranged from the pond at the creek mouth to the north end of the beach.