Poss. Bar-tailed Godwit (and add'l correction)

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2006
      Hi again,
      Toby Tobkin, and later, Jim and I saw a possible Bar-tailed
      Godwit this afternoon at Virgin Creek area in Fort Bragg.
      The bird was alone, except for a Whimbrel. Toby thought
      the bird was definitely smaller than the Whimbrel. The
      two birds were many yards apart when we saw it, so size
      was difficult to distinguish.

      Key features were: VERY, pale from lower breast to undertail
      coverts; fairly broad, long, whitish supercilium; pinkish base
      to the bill; bill did not look particularly long; legs looked a little
      short to Toby, but Jim and I did not get that impression.

      Missed feature: The bird flew directly away, so that we could
      NOT see the underwing linings. That would have clinched it,
      but alas, we could not see that.
      Hope it sticks around for others to determine the species --
      best wishes. Look north of the creek mouth.

      (Correction on BRBO: "Oops." Yes I really meant NW
      Mendocino Co, not NE. I have reversed east and west
      before -- sorry.)

      Karen Havlena, Toby Tobkin, Jim Havlena
      Fort Bragg