8/11 USTP birds

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2006
      Greetings Mendobirders: I visited the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant this
      morning for the first time in 2 weeks, and there were a few birds of local
      interest out there. There was an oddly out of place CLARK'S GREBE on the
      middle pond. I never remember seeing that species out there before. An
      immature BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON was flying between the south and middle
      ponds and the willows along the river. The waterfowl numbers are way
      down. Other than some mallards, the 2 RING-NECKED DUCKS, 2 GREATER SCAUP,
      and the BUFFLEHEAD that all spent the summer continue there. The
      BLACK-NECKED STILT also continues. Along the river I saw the season's
      first WILLOW FLYCATCHER. There were also 6+ WILSON'S WARBLERS along the
      river so things are beginning to move south. In terms of habitat, the
      ponds continue pretty much as lakes. They are quite high with only thin
      strips of mud. I was told that they will be ripping the presently drying
      north pond within the next 2 weeks and it will then be filled. This should
      leave one of the other ponds with lots of shorebird habitat.

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Ukiah, CA 95482

      cevaughn@...