Early Ashy Storm-petrel - Mendocino Headlands 10 Aug, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2006
      Early this afternoon, Jim was trying again for the Horned Puffin
      (unsuccessfully) from Mendocino Headlands St Park. While
      scoping off to the west, I spotted an early Ashy Storm-petrel.

      There was a stiff breeze with overcast conditions. The fog was
      further out. The Ashy Storm-petrel was flying with somewhat
      erratic, batlike flight, while moving forward toward the north
      at a good clip. (Flighty and direct at the same time). I eliminated
      every other dark-rumped storm-petrel easily.

      This morning:
      At Virgin Creek mouth, there was an injured Red Phalarope
      in the shallows by the sand. I believe it was an adult in
      molt, with a few vague, orange spots along the lower flanks
      and sides of the breast. It was missing quite a few feathers
      under the left wing, which also seemed to be missing some
      primaries.

      The Long-tailed Duck fed on the east side of the Ten Mile
      River bridge. The wing coverts are now becoming black.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg