Ten Mile R to Ward Ave - 08/07/06

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7 7:42 PM
      The Long-tailed Duck is rapidly growing new, black feathers on
      the mantle and scapulars. I could not see the throat and chest,
      today, which have remained white. But, he is surely headed in
      the "wrong" direction in his molt, more like spring than winter.

      Jim walked from Ten Mile down the beach to Ward Ave this
      afternoon. The Snowy Plovers are increasing during this
      early part of fall migration. Jim had 11 Snowies: 10 were up
      near Inglenook Creek and the 11th bird was almost to Ward
      Ave. There were various types of bands on about 3 of the
      birds (he wrote to Angela about the details of the bands).

      Also, he saw 4 Ruddy Turnstones, Black-bellied Plovers in
      alternate plumage, and 2 godwits (which took off heading
      north before he could really get a look at them). I will
      check Ten Mile River mouth tomorrow morning.

      Karen Havlena