Thanks

  • Wayne Busby, WA6FXL
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2006
      Now I understand why the long delay in seeing my messages on the list. At first I thought that this was an unfriendly list, far from it. Thank you to all that have written. Most think that the California Gnatcatcher is a Common Bushtit. Some suggestions as to the identity of the posted picture of, what I thought to be, a Red Tailed Hawk to be a: immature Red Shouldered Hawk or Cooper's Hawk. Subsequent to the sighting they made a nest and were frequent visitors until it became really hot, I even have a feather souvenir (should I photograph it?). A portion of a oak tree toppled and I notice that, presumably, their nest along with it. The nest used to be still around, if it still is, I could photograph it, came to a rest at ground level. I presume it was abandoned.

      I do not know for certain that the passing of food (snake) was between two eagles.

      For years we have had tohes (spelling) ground nesting and enjoying the food and water we put out on the deck. This year we had not one but two nest pairs of Scub Jay take up residence. One of the nests was within a couple of feet of our entry gate in and amongst the Clematis climbing the Crepe Myrtle. They probably appreciate the regular water which encourages the bugs so the birds get to feast. Since the Scrub Jays started nesting the Tohoes have disappeared. We miss them. The juvenile Scrub Jays are quite friendly and often are off at short discrete distance scolding us for getting in their way
      Please excuse poor spelling and grammar.

      Wayne
      Kono Tayee, Lake County