Bar-tailed Godwit

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2006
      Sunday Aug 6 * This afternoon shortly after 14:00 I saw a BAR-TAILED GODWIT at Virgin Creek Beach (this is the same bird Jerry White reported earlier for me). The bird was flying south in the company of a Marbled Godwit. They did not stop at Virgin Creek Beach but continued flying south. The birds flew past at about 25-30m distance and slightly above eye-level. I picked the birds up through my bins as they were flying towards me so I saw them from the front and back. The bar-tailed was slightly (but obviously) smaller than the marbled and much paler. The bill was strongly bicolored with a reddish base. The tail had four or five dark bands on a very slightly buffy tail (possibly immature?).

      Also at Virgin Creek Beach were a LESSER YELLOWLEGS and a RUDDY TURNSTONE. Other birds of note were a RED-NECKED PHALAROPE in Noyo Harbor just east of the Hwy 1 bridge (across from where pelagics are boarded) and an adult alternate TUFTED PUFFIN at the Mendocino Headlands just east of Goat Rock.

      Good Birding
      Matthew Matthiessen
      Ukiah, MEN, CA