Bar-tailed Godwit

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2006
      Matthew Mathiessen just called. He had a Bar-tailed Godwit fly by(it was with a Marbled Godwit so he had a good comparison) at Virgin Creek Beach heading south. It did not stop. Jerry White

    • Matthew Matthiessen
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2006
        Sunday Aug 6 * This afternoon shortly after 14:00 I saw a BAR-TAILED GODWIT at Virgin Creek Beach (this is the same bird Jerry White reported earlier for me). The bird was flying south in the company of a Marbled Godwit. They did not stop at Virgin Creek Beach but continued flying south. The birds flew past at about 25-30m distance and slightly above eye-level. I picked the birds up through my bins as they were flying towards me so I saw them from the front and back. The bar-tailed was slightly (but obviously) smaller than the marbled and much paler. The bill was strongly bicolored with a reddish base. The tail had four or five dark bands on a very slightly buffy tail (possibly immature?).

        Also at Virgin Creek Beach were a LESSER YELLOWLEGS and a RUDDY TURNSTONE. Other birds of note were a RED-NECKED PHALAROPE in Noyo Harbor just east of the Hwy 1 bridge (across from where pelagics are boarded) and an adult alternate TUFTED PUFFIN at the Mendocino Headlands just east of Goat Rock.

        Good Birding
        Matthew Matthiessen
        Ukiah, MEN, CA