Golden-crowned Sparrow on the coast

  • David Jensen
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4 8:41 PM
      Friday, August 4, 2006: I saw an adult male Golden-crowned Sparrow in breeding plumage singing this morning in a blackberry bramble north of the CalTrans pullout north of Pacific Star Winery, and south of Chadburne Gulch, between the Ten Mile River and the village of Westport. Other highlights of a brief "on the work clock" trip included many Spotted Sandpipers in the mouths of coastal streams, Purple Martins still feeding young under the Juan Creek bridge (and resting on the power line that spans the gulch east of the bridge - where you can listen to their wonderful calls), Wandering Tattlers scattered along the coast, and Semi-palmated Plovers, Short-billed Dowitchers, Willets, and both small common sandpipers on the banks of the lower Ten Mile River.