Fwd: No Puffins; Whither Oystercatchers?

  • Matt Brady
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2006
      Greetings MendoBirders,

      I made another attempt to spot the Mendocino Headlands
      Puffins on
      Saturday afternoon. There was a very nice couple from
      Chico birding
      at the north parking lot with a scope, and together we
      scanned the
      rafts of birds feeding in the sea north of the Murre
      Colony rocks. No
      puffins! Lots and lots of Murres of course, and a
      pair of Pigeon
      Guillemots obligingly circled around showing off their
      red feet.

      The visitors asked if Black Oystercatchers moved out
      of the area in
      summer, as they had not seen any yet. It occurred to
      me that I don't
      really know. Are they year-round, or do they move
      off?

      There must be good schools of baitfish in the area, as
      we saw a lot of
      feeding birds - welcome sight after last year. Murres
      would come up
      with a fish and paddle around for a while with it
      sticking straight
      out in front, giving the illusion that they had long
      decurved silver
      beaks!

      Lots of Brown Pelicans flying around lately, too.
      Have they been here
      all summer and I just didn't notice?

      Cheers,
      Tim in Albion

    • Feather Forestwalker
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2006
        Hi, Matt,

        I saw some Black Oystercatchers off the Mendocino Headlands yesterday and on Friday evening when I was there.

        Have also seen a family at Glass Beach - they have a pair of youngsters atop a very tall rock just offshore - at low tide the rock is accessible, but I wouldn't dare climb it. *LOL*

        There are also Black Oystercatcher's galore at Ward Avenue.

        Feather

        Matt Brady <podoces@...> wrote:
[...]

      • albionwood
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 31, 2006
          The message about Puffins & Oystercatchers & Pelicans (oh, my!) was
          from me, not Matt - I somehow sent it to him instead of the Group.
          Sorry about the confusion.

          Tim Bray
          Albion