1000 pelicans

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2006
      Barbara Pratt, who works at the Gualala Art Center, told me there have
      been about 1000 pelicans feeding in the Gualala River near the sandbar
      for a couple of weeks. They are standing and dipping their beaks and
      swallowing something. Anyone know what they would be eating? She's
      never seen this before, but thinks she might have just missed it.

      Kate
    • Kate Marianchild
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2006
        Would anchovies be in the river? I understand the river has been cut
        off from the ocean by a sand bar for a month or two.

        Kate

      • Kate Marianchild
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 14, 2006
          That's nice to know about. I hope you're right. I don't like to think
          they're eating salmon fry, which several people have hypothesized.

          Kate